Thursday, November 21, 2013

Japanese Fusion: Sushirritos and More

We were in Chinatown for a haircut and Yelped for nearby restaurants.  Though we were planning on staying in Chinatown for some (duh) Chinese food, I saw a listing for Sushirrito close by in the Financial District.  Intrigued by the name and the concept of a Japanese / Latin flavor scheme, we checked it out.

Geisha's Kiss - Yellowfin Tuna (Hand-Line Caught), Tamago, Piquillo Peppers, Yuzu Tobiko, Lotus Chips, Namasu Cucumber, Butter Lettuce, Avocado, Green Onions Sesame White Soya
The most Yelped about menu item didn't disappoint.  I'm not usually a huge fan of tamago, but thought this married nicely with all of the other components.  The tuna was fresh and the proportion of rice was perfect.

Lava Nachos - Brown Rice Chips topped with Tuna Picante, Melted Pepper Jack Cheese, Avocado, Green Onions, Nori Strips Sriracha Aioli
The spectacular thing about this dish?  Even at the end of the meal, the chips never got soggy.  True to its name, the nachos had a nice kick to it that you could cool down with their avocado.  Very large portion of tuna!

Porkivore - Oven Roasted Pork Belly, Shaved Cabbage, Avocado, Cilantro, Green Onions, Red Radish Mustard Seed Mayo
My husband's pick reminded me of Chinese roasted pork (the crispy skin one - siu yook).  The flavors were good - especially the crunch of the cabbage - but I prefer fish to pork in my "sushi."

All in all, I'm glad we took a detour to give this a try.  I'm always up for novel combinations of food.  A bonus?  This place was very eco-friendly.  Almost every item was recyclable or compostable.

And I know I've talked about Gochi before, but I have better photos this time :)  This is easily one of my favorite restaurants in the Bay Area:
Sake Oyako Meshi Clay Pot Rice - grilled salmon and salmon roe
One of my favorite dishes ever.

Post mixing - you can see those delightful crispy rice bits

Mentaiko Pizza - spicy cod roe, snow crab, mushrooms & bacon
Thanks Emily for the recommendation!  This was SO good!  The crust was perfectly crisp with a good topping ratio and yummy savoriness.  The whole family enjoyed it - even our picky 4-year old  :)

Hope everyone has a great week!  

8 comments:

  1. never heard of this place! looks so yummy and so interesting. I'm going to yelp it now! thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love fusion food, the nachos look especially interesting!
    Aesthetic Lounge

    ReplyDelete
  3. Latin-Japanese fusion -- first time I've heard of this but sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That pizza looks amazing! I think I could handle those toppings...especially the crab! Yum!! You are making me excited to explore downtown restaurants in Portland. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you enjoyed Gochi--Cupertino is where I grew up! It's probably the best restaurant there, IMO. :)

    Never heard of Sushirritos but will have to give it a try next time I drive up to SF. Thanks for the rec!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Cupertino - so many different places to explore! Hope you like Sushirritos!

      Delete
  6. Yay - glad you liked the Gochi pizza! A few more of my favorite Japanese fusion eats in South Bay - Sumika Grill in Los Altos (great oyako don and yummy skewers grilled by charcoal imported from Japan) and En Japanese Tapas in Santa Clara (love their uni fried rice and grilled rice balls).

    In case you can't tell, I love the food in this area. I wouldn't claim to be a foodie but I love eating good food. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emily - you are a woman after my own heart. I LOVE food and trying new things so I very much appreciate your recommendations! Thank you!!

      Delete

I'm the type of gal who gets giddy when I receive mail - it's no different with comments! I really appreciate the feedback and love hearing from you :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...