Sunday, June 8, 2014

Home DIYs: Reupholstering & Inspired Bench

A couple weekend projects to share:

Reupholstering an Old Footstool

A leftover item from Mom, this footstool was a bit dated, but in otherwise excellent condition.  To make it more "ours", I re-covered it with something more my style.  And it was easy!  I basically wrapped the fabric around the footstool (with wrapping-paper-on-a-gift-esque corners) and stapled it in place.  It took all of 10 minutes.


Inspired Bench / Storage (still in progress)

I loved the look of Pottery Barn's bench seating and wanted something similar.  I bought an Ikea Kallax shelf, 2 Kallax door inserts, and 2 Branas baskets.  I had old foam cushions from a past patio set and cut it up to fit the bench top.  At the moment, I'm trying to figure out what to use as a cover.  Originally, I wanted to use the striped fabric shown below, but I'm a little wary of it being kid / stain friendly.  I might use the stripes for accent pillows instead and a dark / wipeable fabric (outdoor fabrics work well!) for the seat.


Hope everyone had a great weekend!

8 comments:

  1. I love your niftiness! Furniture can be so expensive, but these are great ways to freshen up "pre-loved" furinshings. What kind of staple gun did you use for the footstool?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cat - thank you! I used the Arrow 3/8-in Heavy-Duty Staple Gun Tacker at Lowe's here: http://www.lowes.com/pd_91426-412-T50DMLS_0__?productId=1112155&Ntt=staple+gun&Ns=p_product_avg_rating|1&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNs%3Dp_product_avg_rating%7C1%26Ntt%3Dstaple%2Bgun%26page%3D1&facetInfo= It works pretty well, though I have to say my hand hurt a little from the manual action when I was stapling my headboard project.

      Delete
  2. I love that you are DIYing all your furniture :) Giving me some inspiration :)

    katattack2000.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Please do share your projects - would love to hear about them!

      Delete
  3. Like the footstool project. Can't wait to see the finished bench project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Still pondering fabric - I'm embarrassed I have so many half-finished projects!

      Delete
  4. Next time I see a dingy foot stool I will keep this in mind. :p
    I think you might be right about avoiding the white stripes for the bench cushion. I just got a new duvet cover similar to that but with grey and white. Already seeing cat butt marks and eye goobers on it. :/ I need to remember to buy busy prints!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ROFL!!!! Cat butt marks! I remember those. The first time I saw my cat scoot across the floor, I thought it was hilarious. The reminder left behind? Not so much :)

      Delete

I'm the type of gal who gets giddy when I receive mail - it's no different with comments! I really appreciate the feedback and love hearing from you :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...